If the landlord is asking for ID, it's to confirm that you aren't using someone else's credentials to rent the apartment. Never use the photo ID to discriminate against an applicant. Your employment history. Full-time employees will be required to provide payslips from their current employer. They should ensure that these purposes are limited to what a reasonable person would consider appropriate under the circumstances. can a landlord ask for in Ontario: common questions answered, Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act, legal rights as landlord for renters with pets, What to do when a condo you are renting out in Ontario is damaged. Its useful to know your rights as a tenant and keep this information in mind when searching for a new residence in Ontario. Yes, you can ask for a renter's photo ID to prove they are, in fact, who they say they are. Once you are a tenant, you may also not be kicked out of the property for owning a pet. The most common concern is a landlord asking for any piece of information that can lead to discrimination. Landlords should get consent for obtaining and providing reference and/or background checks. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Your landlord can also receive a credit check if you provide your full name and birthday. Your email address will not be published. No, she did not tell me the purpose of why she needs to obtain photo id. This is part of a landlords tenant screening process to ensure that the applicant is financially fit to rent. Who will be living with you and what are their names? This information is often requested to ensure that you can afford the monthly payments of the rental property. Copyright 2023 Leaf Group Ltd. / Leaf Group Media, All Rights Reserved. Your current employment situation. Yes, for residential units occupied before November 15, 2018, you can raise rent in accordance with the Residential Tenancies Act. The landlord-tenant relationship can involve the collection, use and disclosure of significant amounts of personal information. The information provided on this website does not constitute financial or professional advice. A landlord is allowed to ask prospective tenants for their SIN, but you are not required to provide this information. The information provided on this website does not constitute financial or professional advice. Your email address will not be published. And, theyre allowed to ask whether you have pets or smoke. if you work, and where you work. Part 2: What do you need when applying for a rental? state what day and time they will enter (between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.). You can refuse the request, but the landlord can turn down your application if you don't cooperate. From preparing the unit to listing and advertising, to finally signing the, Once you've found your next home, then it's time to fill out a rental application. Weird they wouldn't simply say "make sure you're carrying ID" when they show the unit. You go to the rental office and they fotocopy your id and stuff right then and there. His website is frasersherman.com. Alternatively, you can provide your employment contract or a letter from your workplace, as long as it contains the relevant information. References, credit checks, employment verificationthe list goes on. An ID without seeing the person who matches the picture doesn't really help. Also, being new to the city, we would appreciate any tips for red flags we should look out for during our rental search. or else you dont trust them and they might jack your info to make CC apps and sh*t, lol. Informal checks such as looking at your Facebook page or Twitter feed, or asking another landlord about you are a collection of personal information and, therefore, privacy laws apply. Bank statements are very private. One area of typical concern is tenant privacy rights. This is why we have created a list of necessary documents that every California landlord needs to keep in an easy to find file.10 Most Important California Landlord Documents to Keep On Hand. PIPEDA sets out the ground rules for how businesses, including landlords, must handle personal information in the course of commercial activity. No, landlords cant ask for your credit card number. Also a landlord cannot demand postdated cheques. >> Stay up-to-date on the average rent in Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal: Rent Reports, Sarah Anderson is a Creative Content Writer at liv.rent who shares the latest updates and news with the safe and trusted community of landlords and tenants at liv.rent. Can a landlord say no pets in Ontario 2021? Questions a landlord can ask . To run a credit check, the landlord would need, at a minimum: Some landlords may also ask for your drivers license, passport, employer, income and expenses on a rental application. What is a landlord allowed to ask for on a rental application? Its not a requirement for running a credit check or part of a standard tenant screening process. A landlord can ask questions related to the tenancy so long as they don't . Allowed. Can I require that? No the landlord is not legally required to provide you copy of their ID. Canada Buzz is an advertising-supported blog. You don't have to disclose it, but if the condo has no pets in their declaration (not just a rule) you can be kicked out for having them. Required fields are marked *. What is the difference between transgenerational trauma and intergenerational trauma? principles of language teaching ppt; best hvac systems 2020 consumer reports Personal data that is on paper should be locked safely in a cabinet and electronic documents should be kept safe through encryption and the use of passwords. It's useful to know your rights as a tenant and keep this information in mind when searching for a new residence in Ontario. Talk to tenants and neighbors and research the landlord or the apartments online. Plus, the tenant screening process of checking references and running credit checks would likely uncover lies about rental and financial histories. So while a tenant can technically turn away an applicant for having a pet, they legally arent supposed to. In Ontario, it is not normal for a landlord to ask for a post-dated check, and the tenant is not under any obligation to provide one if the landlord asks. Sign up for free or download the app. Is asking for photocopies of all my ID a normal procedure? Is it standard for owner to ask for a copy of passport/ID before showing the unit? Join the Financial Literacy Train. This means that there are laws surrounding what a landlord can and cannot ask you. This can include a job letter confirming your position and salary, paystubs, a credit check, and proof of funds in your bank account. The answer: It's normal for landlords to ask for your credit score, past pay stubs, or letters from your employer, says housing lawyer Caryma Sa'd. Anything that deals with your income,. Can a landlord ask for a copy of your ID in California? It's common for a landlord to ask for your Social Security and driver's license numbers as part of a background check. Pro tip: In Canada, you are protected by Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act(PIPEDA) and its important to know a bit about this protection yourself. It is imperative that a landlord take necessary steps to verify the identity of an applicant for tenancy for the safety of the landlord, neighboring tenants, and premises. Other laws may apply to some situations. Opinions expressed on this blog are NOT endorsed by the reviewed brands. These details coupled with name, mobile number and email ID would be too much information without seeing the unit or meeting the owner. As mentioned only first and last months rent. How to Add a Tenant to an Existing Rental Lease. Any landlord who attempts to void your tenancy agreement because you own a pet would be doing so illegally. Can a landlord require renters insurance in Ontario? if you work, and where you work. They cant serve as an opinion or professional advice. A credit report has a credit score which could be a number from 300(very poor) to 900(Excellent). Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. For information on renting in Ontario, refer to these resource posts about leases and evictions. Avid researcher, freelance writer, and personal finance enthusiast passionate about financial education and literacy. If your landlord requires a background check, we can help you quickly and affordably obtain one. Weve rounded up the Best life in Canada, with the best promotions, and the best sign-up bonuses, to help you maximize your benefits. This is part three of our four-part series and you can check out the rest of the FAQs below: For more info on rental laws and policies (e.g. What Kind of Questions Can a Landlord Ask? Can landlords ask for Sin Number Ontario? The problem is that under Ontarios Residential Tenancies Act, a landlord cannot request more than first and last months rent before a tenant moves into the property. A credit check will give the prospective landlord information about your ability to pay the rent. Its reasonable to expect landlords to ask potential tenants for certain types of personal information like proof of income, references or identification. Any information regarding your marital status, family status, or sexual orientation, Your race, ethnic background, or religion. To date, there are no legal documents or stipulations that suggest otherwise. Applying For A Rental In Ontario Part 4: How Do I Fill Out A Rental Application? New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. All you can eat crepes . Reasonable to ask for ID, if you have actually met the person. With that being said though, they ca. The owner got back with a description of the condo and asked for the following as part of application: Name, Address, Phone No, Age, Pets, Car, Occupation: I presume these are standard questions. You can ask questions about why certain documents are being requested, and, if necessary, suggest alternatives which could achieve the same goal. Your Social Insurance Number is a confidential number used for income reporting purposes. To be honest I would skip out on this one, the red flags are waving. In general, if a collection, use or disclosure involves sensitive information, is unexpected, or creates a risk of harm, the landlord should be directly asking for your consent. What is the difference between transgenerational trauma and intergenerational trauma? present and past employment. photographs and video recordings about an identifiable individual. Is a landlord allowed to ask for bank statements? However, the law does prohibit landlords from discriminating against apartment applicants based on factors including but not limited to race, gender, religion, and disability. Apply to multiple listings. So there you have it - a clear answer to the question of whether a landlord can ask for your driver's license (they can) along with helpful tips on how to navigate the request when you don't have one and a . You cannot deny entry into your rental unit to a landlord, authorized broker or salesperson if you received a Notice of Entry. The law requires that the purpose be one that a reasonable person would consider appropriate. It's not written on lease. You don't have to significantly interrupt your otherwise busy life. Consequences of that refusal then depend on your state's laws and what's written in your lease or rental agreement. Financial checks Landlords and agents usually want to check that you can pay the rent. Mac Mini 2023 - M2 - $669 education discount. Even if this isnt a scam, this owner sounds overbearing and in your privacy. It's is needed to run credit and background checks. Allrightsreserved. What is the most livable city in the world 2021? To clarify, a landlord can ask for your SIN when completing an application to rent a property or negotiating a lease with a landlord, according to the Government of Canadas website. The Act also states that anything in a lease that violates the Act is void. Chat instantly with verified landlords. Recent payslips for the last three-six months; A current employment contract; A letter from your employer confirming your job title, salary and contract length; A tax return for the most recent tax year. The blog posts on this website are for the purpose of general introductory information. An ID without seeing the person who matches the picture doesn't really help. While people may appreciate the security that comes with video surveillance, they dont want to feel watched in their own homes. SIN number (optional to provide this, it helps them to run credit checks). All of that is fine (goes to identity verification) except for age & pets. Those provincial authorities have developed guidance on how their own privacy laws apply to landlord-tenant issues: Under PIPEDA, personal information includes any factual or subjective information, recorded or not, about an identifiable individual. Maybe it's their way of weeding out people who are not serious? Can my landlord ask me for a copy of drivers license Ontario? They cannot, for instance, tell you that there are no pets allowed. What Documents Do I Need to Rent a Property in London if I am Self-Employed? Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Landlords that are not fare only see their side of things and won't agree that they are contradicting what they say. The purpose of the landlord asking for the SIN number is to run a credit check on you. Some organizations ask for the SIN for reasons unrelated to income reporting purposes. If you are self-employed, thats great. Sign up now. Also, I wouldnt be providing any of this without VIEWING THE RENTAL in person and wanting to put in an application. Don't bother with IDs. Its equally important to know what you cant ask for on a rental application. like the job letter, you most likely need to prepare it for all of the applicants. Lots of people renting out condos posing as a tenant then listing them on air bnb, resulting in property damage and violations of the condo laws. If it is the owner showing, however unusual it may be, it's still not unheard of. +91-9879950702 Monday - Friday 10:00 - 7:30 Rakhiyal, Ahmedabad, Gujarat . This time one is asking for me to photocopy all my ID. Not only can a landlord ask for photo identification, they should. Lying or misrepresenting yourself on a rental application is not legal. This is legal; however, you are not required by law to provide it. Of course, as humans in Canada, we all have our own fundamental human rights. If you can't afford the rent or disappear when it comes due, your landlord loses out. The most basic tenancy agreement for an AST must include: Theres no set credit score necessary to rent an apartment or house; the criteria for approval will vary depending on the property, location, landlord and other factors. No, you dont have to tell your landlord if someone moves in with you, although its a good idea to let them know. Subscribe to receive the latest tenant & landlord tips and get notified about changes in the Canadian rental market. Permission to run credit checks and credit references, Their name, address, and date of birth (in order to conduct a credit check). If you dont want pets living in your rental Copyright Rhenti Ltd. 2022. That seems reasonable to me. Your landlord must: give you 24 hours written notice. What's the issue unless you have something to hide? however, you should be aware that some landlords may not consider self-employed tenants or they may ask you for lots of supporting documents and the list of require documents are usually different. Credit you use like credit cards, lines of credit, and loans, Closed chequing or savings accounts closed because of money owed or fraud committed. So, just because you have a new landlord doesnt mean they can raise the rent. Pro tip: liv.rent has more pet-friendly rentals than any other listings platform. The landlord must also make a reasonable effort to ensure that you understand how the information will be used or disclosed. For this reason, there are certain things that a landlord cannot ask you for. Required fields are marked *. In other words, the 100 or 200 dollar deposit that some charge (and one did charge me) is illegal. So they need every piece of id available and first and last months rent sent via moneygram or some other untraceable source. Credit bureaus collect, use and disclose personal information through their consumer credit reports. Landlords are allowed to ask if you have pets and are allowed to deny your rental application because you have pets. The landlord gets the documents. Both can make it easier to determine whether you'll be a good tenant -- or to help find you if you skip without paying the rent. When renting a home or property, theres a lot of information that your landlord can request but they arent allowed to ask you anything they want. Landlords should not collect more information than they need for the stated purpose, and should not keep it for longer than necessary. Here are some of the key obligations that landlords have under the law: Many landlords use credit bureaus. In Canada, it is entirely legal for a landlord to run a credit check before agreeing to rent out a property. No. What Information Is A Landlord Allowed to Ask For? Applying For A Rental In Ontario Part 2: What do you need when applying for a rental? That doesn't just mean refusing to rent to someone of the "wrong" race, it also includes the landlord applying a different standard when screening tenants. financial obligations, personal references, and the make and model of your car(s). However, do send them blurry pictures of the tenants also, possibly with a watermark, an irreverent gesture (like bunny ears or peace signs such that they won't fit the passport photo guidelines https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/photos.html). Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Some products and services that appear on this site are from companies from which Canadabuzz receives compensation. Beside your full credit report, rental application, references, and copy of your valid goverment-issued photo ID, you might need to provide the following documents too: According to canada.ca explenation Your notice of assessment (NOA) isan evaluation of your tax return that the Canada Revenue Agency sends you every year after you file your tax return.. For details about other laws that apply to rental issues, please see Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporations Renting in Canada information. Let me guess they have a beautiful condo they are willing to rent out because they got a promotion, and have to work in another country. It's illegal to discriminate against tenants based on demographics -- for example, because of race, color, religion or nationality. Is a landlord normally supposed to ask for photocopies of all my pieces of ID? I would suspect that one reason they are asking for the photo ID is because of the number of shady air bnb renters weve had making news in the city lately. Prepare your last 3 paystubs. In California, one of the pieces of information the landlord can ask for is your bank balance. Yes, landlords can refuse to rent to people in Ontario as long as they're following the Ontario Human Rights Code and Residential Tenancies Act, which afford renters some protections against discrimination based on age, race, family status et cetera. Can landlord ask for proof of income Ontario? Therefore, questions about age, disability, place of origin, religion, family status, sexual orientation, gender expression and other Human Rights grounds are not allowed. Can you clarify what you mean by the damage deposit being illegal? One exception is in condos where any strata rules banning pets are upheld. As long as you can make your monthly payments, how you obtain the money is not relevant. SanDisk 128GB High Endurance Video microSDXC $24. Landlords are required to comply with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), Canadas federal private sector privacy law, or provincial legislation deemed to be substantially similar. Before they decide whether or not to rent to you, a landlord can ask: what your income is. Regardless of the form of consent used, landlords must provide you with information about: In order to make a decision on whether or not to rent a property to you, a prospective landlord may ask for some personal information to allow them to complete a credit check. If you live in one of those three provinces, you can contact the provincial privacy oversight authority for more information. I would avoid if you can. Reference letter from your Employer or University. Just signing, agreeing, and the money. Looking for the right auto insurance plan? You could also consider filing a complaint with the OPC. Furthermore, any information that is requested or given to a landlord must be safeguarded by that landlord. 03:06. Also, ask where a "regular guest" was defined in the lease so that you can better understand her response. , Proof of Income (Bank Statement or Salary Slips). They've asked for a picture too, but that doesn't help much. if you have pets. Other things in 1 (like age) are also big red flags for me. Section 10 of the Residential Tenancies Act states that all landlords must comply with the Human Rights Code. a Job letter or an Employment Verification Letter is aletter that shows the employees name, job position, tenure, and income. Your email address will not be published. I'm renting a in-law unit in a single-family home, which my . In Ontario, residential landlord premiums average around $900/year for a house and $400/year for a condo/apartment. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); As a renter, what is the most frustrating part of renting? If you have nothing to hide I'm not sure what the big deal is since there's not much that can be done with just a copy. Its important to have an amicable relationship with your landlord. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. Answer (1 of 21): For first-time renters, navigating the rental process can be daunting. Personal Finance and Travel Rewards Expert Contributor. Landlords cannot ask you personal questions that interfere with your rights under the Ontario Human Rights Code. If youre an employee, there are several documents you can provide to prove your income and employment. Stay up to date on the current Ontario rent increase guidelines here. Learn more at our resource centre. Yes, you can require renters insurance as long as there is a condition in your lease that states as such. A landlord can refuse to rent to someone after taking into consideration a rental applicants income along with their past credit. Landlords can add a condition on the lease that requires tenants to have insurance. If renters resist the idea, be sure to explain that it's their belongings that are being protected! Pro tip: Use a trusted rental platform like liv.rent with verified landlords and listings to protect yourself from scams. In general, the conduct of individuals who are not collecting, using or disclosing personal information for commercial purposes is not covered under Canadian privacy laws. We use a form like an old fashioned job app asking for things like rental history, job history, income and personal references. Can we ask the landlord for a copy of their driver's license and proof of ownership? For a landlord, taking you on as a tenant is a gamble. Documents are faxed or scanned and emailed routinely. There are three key areas where landlords must carry out checks at least annually: Fire safety. In other areas, such as BC (British Columbia), landlords may request . They may also request your social insurance number. According to the Ontario Human Rights Commission, you cant ask: If the person has ever been part of a dispute that went to the Landlord and Tenant Board. Choosing a tenant is a big decision and requires due diligence. The time of entry between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Most landlords and referencing agencies require tenants to provide bank statements as proof of income and rent payments. Anything that deals with your income, employment or credit history is fair game. Consent of a credit check. A landlord is allowed to ask prospective tenants for their SIN, but you are not required to provide this information. Within this code, tenants or potential tenants may not be discriminated against based on their receipt of public assistance. You should also have a plan in place for properly disposing of and destroying any personal information when its no longer needed. Gas safety. One of the first steps is to prepare the following documents that most of the Landlords or their real estate agents are looking for. A subreddit for people to submit questions to Torontonians and about Toronto and receive constructive responses. You don't have to provide that ID but he doesn't have to rent you the apartment either. Any time you click to our partner websites or register for a product or services through an affiliate link on our website, we may earn a commission at ZERO cost to you. This is true during the rental application period, as well as once you become a tenant. My wife and I responded to a for rent ad on Kijiji. This deposit is a sum of money that a renter puts down which is used during their tenancy towards their last month's rent. Again, you are not legally required to provide this information, though it may affect the landlords willingness to rent to you. In most states, landlords can include a question about whether the applicant has previously been convicted of a crime. Can a landlord ask for 3 months rent in advance in Ontario? It is fraudulent. Do not send a copy of passport/ID. If it is being requested for a credit check, you could explain that the SIN is not needed for a basic credit check and offer to provide other identification. However, knowing your credit score before you start apartment-hunting can help you zero in on properties you may qualify to rent. 2 and 3 sound like a scam to steal your identity. Yes, landlords will call a tenants references (previous landlords) to verify rental history as part of their tenant screening process. Another best practice when collecting information from a prospective tenant is to tell the applicant what information you are collecting, why you are collecting it, any third parties their information is being disclosed to, and any potential risk of harm. But if you're a first-time renter, then the application process, Liv Strategies Inc. document.write(new Date().getFullYear()) | Vancouver, BC | Apartments for Rent. permission to do a credit check. Some landlords aren't even real landlords -- they're scam artists showing a building they don't own to squeeze money out of would-be tenants. That is your option. For example, if a landlord should ask for a bank statement, they must disclose what they wish to use that information for. No, you cant require to know if someone new moves in with an existing renter. Its perfectly normal for a landlord or property manager to ask for your bank account number on a rental application. Landlord Protection Agency: Ten Stupid Things That Landlords Do, Nolo.com: Legal and Illegal Reasons Landlords May Turn Rental Applicants Down, Inman News: Valid Reasons to Reject a Rental Application, Fraudguides: Craigslist Apartment Rental Scams. Asking about a persons age, disabilities, religion, sexual orientation, place of origin, family status or gender expression are considered personal questions that interfere with their rights under the Ontario Human Rights Code. In other words, a landlord cannot refuse your pets in Ontario.
Adam Roarke Death, Brielle Biermann Father John Macdougald, Thunderchild Residential School, Articles C