1176. JEREMIAH 33. And it's just an offering of fellowship with God as I just give my life to You, God, and the eating of it signifies that oneness with God and the fellowshipping with God. In those days, and at that time, will I cause a Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David; and he shall execute judgment and righteousness in the land. Jeremiah now shews why God had promised that there would be a quiet habitation for shepherds, so that no one would by force take away their flocks. So too has Ewald, who says (Propheten, ii. That's what people are saying today. He has promised to send a descendent of David to be their Messiah - and He is to be called, The Lord My Righteousness: "Call to Me and I will answer you - Call to Me and I will tell you great and mighty things, which you do not know." My Prayer Heavenly Father, thank You that You are a good and faithful God Whose Word stands fast forever and ever. He had been divinely called to denounce Israel's spiritual apostasy and proclaim severe judgement upon them. If you just call upon the Lord, He will show you great and mighty things. For thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel, concerning the houses of this city, and concerning the houses of the kings of Judah, which are thrown down by the mounts, and by the sword; They come to fight with the Chaldeans, but it is to fill them with the dead bodies of men, whom I have slain in mine anger and in my fury, and for all whose wickedness I have hid my face from this city. To report dead links, typos, or html errors or suggestions about making these resources more useful use the convenient, Watson's Biblical & Theological Dictionary, International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, "I will cause a Branch of righteousness to arise unto David ". And that is its power. This is ushered in "The waters above the firmament" in the Creation narrative, for example, actually refer to "moisture in the atmosphere, or clouds"; but the Jews had no word for "vapor"; therefore, the waters (liquid) were beneath the firmament, and the waters (vapor) were above the firmament. that good thing that came out of Nazareth: the good Shepherd that 23:5-6). Amen. God tells Jeremiah that he has not. The wise senior pastor however . Some think that they pass under the hand of him that telleth them that they may be tithed, Leviticus 27:32. After centuries of idolatry and oppressive practices of Judean kings and elite, God withdrew the divine protective power, and the unrelenting armies of Babylon laid siege to Jerusalem. house of Israel and to the house of Judah; The seed of Jacob, in their beginning, gloried in this, that they were shepherds (Genesis 47:3), and so they shall now be again, giving themselves wholly to that innocent employment, causing their flocks to lie down (Jeremiah 33:12; Jeremiah 33:12) and to pass under the hands of him that telleth them (Jeremiah 33:13; Jeremiah 33:13); for, though their flocks are numerous, they are not numberless, nor shall they omit to number them, that they may know if any be missing and may seek after it. The assistant pastor quite sure of himself said, "I'll do much of my socializing in groups, there is safety in numbers.". This land that you say is desolate is going to be filled with voices of joy and happiness, voices of the bridegroom and of the bride." Leaving this verse out of your sermon could run the risk of leaving your people with the mistaken impression that God privileges the Christian tradition over the Jewish one. Yet now, in the midst of catastrophe, the prophet finally speaks words of promise! . It was now desolate, without man and without beast; but, after their return, the pastures shall again be clothed with flocks,Psalms 65:13. He is the maker and former of Jerusalem, of Zion, built them at first, and therefore can rebuild them-built them for his own praise, and therefore will. We are called to speak a word of hope and promise in a world often filled with fear and uncertainty, even despair. Jeremiah was a sensitive man who wore his heart on his sleeve. (1-2) Salvation to Israel in the last days. These are Christians, called by the apostle Peter "a royal priesthood" (1Peter 2:9), and of whom the prophecy declares that "They live and reign with Jesus Christ a thousand years!" Behar, BeHar, Be-har, or B'har ( Hebrew for "on the mount," the fifth word, and the first distinctive word, in the parashah) is the 32nd weekly Torah portion ( , parashah) in the annual Jewish cycle of Torah reading and the ninth in the Book of Leviticus.The parashah tells the laws of the Sabbatical year ( , Shmita) and limits on debt . "[7], Thus, we find no fault whatever with what the holy prophet has written here; and we believe that the full understanding of it is clear enough in the marvelous words of the New Testament. Glorious promise of God. The worst has not yet happened, but it is inevitable. (90) So is the Vulg., suscitabo, I will awake, or rouse; and also the Sept. and the Targ. (1-6) The droughts upon Judah. And the burnt-offerings what about them? Some texts describe it as polluting Gods land (see Numbers 35) or even being the very reason for the exile, that the land might recover and heal (see also Ezekiel 36). But God's promise was true. 3. To that end, our congregants benefit from finding links between the two, to see the completeness of the story which the original New Testament authors saw themselves. California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. In the cities of the mountains, in the cities of the valley, and in the cities of the south, and in the land of Benjamin, and in the places about Jerusalem, and in the cities of Judah, shall the flocks pass again under the hands of him that telleth them, saith the LORD. Only in a limited and preliminary way were these promises fulfilled in Zerubbabel and Sheshbazzar after the Captivity (cf. God responds to this lament with a promise of redemption and healing for Israel (Jeremiah 33:6-18). Besides, in Jeremiah 23:6 Israel is named together with Judah, instead of which, we have here, in Jeremiah 33:16, Jerusalem; accordingly, the name "Jahveh Tsidkenu" is referred to Jerusalem, while in Jeremiah 23:6 it is predicated of the sprout of David. "If ye shall break my covenant with the day,then also will my covenant with Davidbe broken." Moreover the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah, saying, Consider thou not what this people have spoken, saying, The two families which the LORD hath chosen, he hath even cast them off? Today we hear the story of the prophet Jeremiah, who was born in Josiahs time, but went on the prophesy during the darkest times of Judahs history. But instead of pitting the traditions against each other, perhaps there is a kinship-rope knotting us together in the final two verses of this text: the first (Jeremiah 33:17) a promise for a king of the line of David, the second (verse 18) a promise that there shall also be no end to the line of Levitical priests before [God]. While we might claim the Messiah in our tradition, we can never lay claim to the Levitical birthright or Priestly office that this verse lifts up. Jeremiah 33:14-26 View this passage in NIV (Bible Gateway) A senior pastor who told his handsome new assistant pastor to avoid the dangers of immorality in the ministry. In other words, he did not act like a proper Pharisee so he cannot be the Messiah. "And the word of Jahveh came unto Jeremiah, saying: Jeremiah 33:20. So here is God's invitation, challenge to Jeremiah, "Call unto Me." Behold, I will bring it health and cure, and I will cure them, and will reveal unto them the abundance of peace and truth. "Through him (Christ) then let us offer up a sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of lips that make confession to his name. He is a branch of righteousness, not a usurper, for he grows up unto David, descends from his loins, with whom the covenant of royalty was made, and is that seed with whom that covenant should be established, so that his title is unexceptionable. In this chapter in Jeremiah, the stunning reversal of fortune that God promises is not only for Israels benefit, but for the land itself. Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Again in this place, which is desolate without man and without beast, and in all the cities thereof, shall be an habitation of shepherds causing their flocks to lie down. Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will perform that good thing which I have promised unto the house of Israel and to the house of Judah. 12 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Again in this place, which is desolate without man and without beast, and in all the cities thereof, shall be a habitation of shepherds causing their flocks to lie down. They are those who experienced the new birth (Revelation 20:5). Far from it! Marcus Aurelius, Sermon Jeremiah 33:14-16 Time of Fulfillment The Rev. The promise in Jeremiah 33:14-16 has already been given in substance in Jeremiah 23:5-6, and in our verses it is only formally extended, and thereby made more prominent. It is promised that the people who were long in sorrow shall again be filled with joy. "Transparent gold" is an impossibility. The priesthood formed the medium of approach for the people into divine favour. THE CONTEXT Chapter 33 is the last chapter of the Book of Consolation (chapters 30-33)three hopeful chapters that promise redemption and restoration to Israel and Judah. But careful listeners will hear that when God promises to raise up a true ruler, the ultimate actions of this king are justice and righteousness for the whole land, not just the people. There shall be heard in their private houses, and in the cities of Judah, as well as in the temple, the voice of those that shall say, Praise the Lord of hosts. Jeremiah is not someone who looks at the world through rose-colored glasses. The recent rise in acts of anti-Semitism in the United States make this a danger we must take seriously. After this reassurance, God encourages Jeremiah to ask for further revelations of his plans for his people (3:1-3). Ultimately, they are combined in the highest sense in Christ (cf. But it is unlikely that "the good word" refers to the "sprout" of David, which is expressly promised in Jeremiah 23:5., and repeated here, Jeremiah 33:15.; for here a like promise to the Levites follows, while there is none in Jeremiah 23, and it is here so closely linked with the promise regarding David, that it must be viewed as a portion of the "good word." The limitation of language itself has been frequently mentioned in my series of commentaries. That good thing - Better, the good word Jeremiah 29:10, with reference to the promise already given Jeremiah 23:5-6. He formed it, to establish it, and therefore it shall be established till those things be introduced which cannot be shaken, but shall remain for ever. Jeremiah 33:14-20The New Revised Standard Version. All might seem lost, but God still is faithful. Verse Jeremiah 33:14. The kingdom assured them of the divine guidance. God told Jeremiah that He has not rejected them. Jeremiah 33:14 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord Or, "are coming" {t}; future times are respected; yet such as would quickly come; five or six hundred years more, and then would be fulfilled what is after promised. Last week on Christ the King Sunday, we heard about the reforms of the great King Josiah. Jeremiah 33:19-26 further present two special messages from God, in the form of supplements, which guarantee the eternal continuance of these institutions. By him Judah shall be saved from wrath and the curse, and, being so saved, Jerusalem shall dwell safely, quiet from the fear of evil, and enjoying a holy security and serenity of mind, in a dependence upon the conduct of this prince of peace, this prince of their peace. Lectionary Commentary, Jeremiah 33:14-16, 1st Sunday of Advent (Year C), by Dennis Bratcher at Christian Resource Institute. The meaning of the Prophet is, that God would at length render evident the power of his word, by fulfilling it. "At the same time," says the LORD, "I will be the God of all the families of Israel, and they shall be My people." Thus says the LORD: "The people who survived the sword Found grace in the wilderness For I will cause to return the captivity of the land, as at the first, saith the LORD ( Jeremiah 33:4-11 ). The first danger is reading the New Testament into the Old Testament in a way nullifies or negates the original text. In short, the true application of prophetic truth is, that we never lay hold on, and really embrace the promises of God, except we look forward to the days that are coming, that is, except we patiently wait for the time prefixed by God: and further, except our faith leans on the promises, when they seem to he dormant, it is not firm, and has no roots or foundations; for as the root which nourishes the tree is not seen, but lies hid in the earth, and as the foundation of a house is not visible to our eyes, so ought our faith to be in like manner founded, and to drive deep roots into Gods promises, so that its firmness may not be in the air, nor have a visible surface, but a hidden foundation. And that is a theologically sound way of reading this passage from Jeremiah. 4. [Note: See Dyer, "Jeremiah," p. God has a plan. Many good words or promises are made before, concerning - Calvin.). are adverbs, "day and night," for "the regular alternation of day and night." So God declaring over and over His continued work upon Israel. The promise is, "If you will call unto Me, I will answer." It's going to happen. The public worship of God shall be diligently and constantly attended upon: They shall bring the sacrifice of praise to the house of the Lord. This promise concerned the whole priesthood in the person of Phinehas, and the Levites also, inasmuch as the Levites were given to the priests; hence there is mention made in Malachi 2:4, Malachi 2:8, of a covenant with Levi. Time is like a river and its current is swift. See Psalms 144:13; Psalms 144:14. After long waiting, a branch will sprout. Yes, for our sins. . The Targum explains verses Jeremiah 33:14, Jeremiah 33:15, and Jeremiah 33:16 of the Messiah. The Lukan travel narrative (chapters 9-19) begins with a notice of Jesus' resolve to go to Jerusalem and his inhospitable reception by a . God chose, but He's cast them off. Jeremiah 33:14-15 record Gods promises for the future restoration of the community. Note, It is the prudence of those who have ever so much of the world to keep an account of what they have. This is the principal of the great and mighty things the Lord promised to show to the prophet, Jeremiah 33:3; even the coming of the Messiah, and what concerns his person and office: that I will perform that good thing which I have promised unto the house of Israel and to the house of Judah; or, "that good word" u; that gracious word concerning Christ and salvation by him; that mercy promised to the fathers; that good thing that came out of Nazareth: the good Shepherd that laid down his life for the sheep, preferable to the shepherds before spoken of: or rather, "that best word" w; the positive used for the superlative, as frequent in the Hebrew language. At this time, when the kingdom, with its ordinances of justice and of grace, bestowed by God, was being dissolved, the Lord, in order to keep His people from despair, declares that these two institutions, in accordance with His promise, shall not fall to the ground, but shall stand for ever. Hast thou not seen what this people have spoken, saying, 'The two families which the Lord hath chosen, these He hath rejected?' Psalms 110:4) and are yet to be fulfilled in the reign of Messiah on earth." The Hebrew word for saved is yasha . Five hundred years after God saved the Judeans from their Babylonian exile, a child would be born, and his parents would name him Yeshua, or Jesus, meaning God saves.. 16 In those . "As an Advent text, this passage not only calls us to reflect on the faithfulness of God in the past as He worked in Israel?s history, especially as that faithfulness worked out in the Coming of Jesus the Christ. 33:1). Sermons on Jeremiah 30-33 Alan Carr - Jeremiah 32:1-15 The Prison Of His Purposes Alan Carr - Jeremiah 32:16-27 The God of the Impossible Steven Cole - Jeremiah 32:1-25 - The Man Who Bought Property In A War Zone Charles Simeon - Jeremiah 30:10, 11.God's gracious Designs towards his chosen People In the midst of despair, hope erupts. We occupy a uniquely powerful position to speak out against such acts, and it must begin with the way we preach from the Old Testament. God has a gracious set of promises that he will fulfill. " 'In those days and at that time I will make a righteous Branch sprout from David's line; he will do what is just and right in the land. In the remaining nine occurrences of the phrase in the book, it points to a time of future blessing for Israel. Wasn't Christ sacrificed once and for all? They sang together in praising the Lord, because he is good, for his mercy endures for ever. Civil and religious power will work together for the good of his people as God intended (19-22).When God punishes Israel and Judah, some people claim that he has rejected them. 2. anointing glory of god prophetic prophetic word rene picota unity Sep 14, 2022. On this first Sunday of Advent, one cannot read the prophecy of a righteous Branch springing up for David in anything but a messianic light. Jesus himself presses his followers for this very connection in our optional Gospel reading for today, Mark 8:27-29. Notice there's no mention here of sin offerings. God of the promised Messiah, as we wait for the fulfillment of your promise, we watch, we listen, and we open our hearts for your Word. 15 In those days, and at that time, will I cause the Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David; and he shall execute judgment and righteousness in the land. miah 33:14-16 Commentary on First Reading by Kathryn Schifferdecker. Jeremiah 33:14-26 New International Version 14 "'The days are coming,' declares the Lord, 'when I will fulfill the good promise I made to the people of Israel and Judah. This is the name by which Jehovah shall call him, Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers, Keil and Delitzsch Biblical Commentary on the Old Testament. Jeremiah 23 PARAGRAPH DIVISIONS OF MODERN TRANSLATIONS (The parentheses represent poetic literary units) READING CYCLE THREE (see introductory section) FOLLOWING THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR'S INTENT AT PARAGRAPH LEVEL This is a study guide commentary,which means that you are responsible for your own interpretation of the Bible. Jeremiah 33:14 Commentaries: 'Behold, days are coming,' declares the LORD, 'when I will fulfill the good word which I have spoken concerning the house of Israel and the house of Judah. Jeremiah 33:25. The Lord began to speak to me about the month of October. Nevertheless, he has purchased the land as a pledge, as earnest of Gods redemption: For thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: Houses and fields and vineyards shall again be bought in this land (32:15). For thus saith the LORD; David shall never want a man to sit upon the throne of the house of Israel; Neither shall the priests and the Levites want a man before me to offer burnt offerings, and to kindle meal offerings, and to do sacrifice continually ( Jeremiah 33:16-18 ). This is the For thus saith Jehovah: David shall never want a man to sit upon the throne of the house of Israel; neither shall the priests of the Levites want a man before me to offer burnt-offerings, to burn meal-offerings, and to do sacrifice continually.". Historically, of course, the Davidic line did not return to the throne, so passages like this (and its parallel, Jeremiah 23:5-6), were in time interpreted to be speaking about the coming ideal ruler, the Messiah. The blessing promised to the people in the "good word" culminates in the promise, Jeremiah 33:15., that the Lord will cause a righteous sprout to spring up for David. Dr. James D. Kegel MAY THE WORDS OF MY MOUTH AND THE MEDITATIONS OF MY HEART BE ACCEPTABLE IN YOUR SIGHT, O GOD, MY ROCK AND MY REDEEMER. We often forget that the sins of the Judean elites unethical economic practices, violating the Sabbath, sacrificing young children hurt not only Gods people, but the land itself. In those days shall Judah be saved, and Jerusalem shall dwell safely: and this is the name wherewith she shall be called, The LORD our righteousness. "Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins, in his own blood, and made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Now the word of the LORD came unto Jeremiah, saying, Thus saith the LORD ( Jeremiah 33:19-20 ); Now is God going to turn off Israel? The preacher should also acknowledge, however, that like Jeremiah, he or she speaks these words in a time when many are experiencing great loss: loss of job, of security, of home. the Jews themselves allow, show that the words belong to the Though the promise may sometimes work slowly towards an accomplishment, it works surely. They are those who participated in the "first resurrection." Instead, Jesus restored the Kingdom of God to the whole world and is in the process of bringing that Kingdom to the fruition promised here in Jeremiah 33. (Note: The portion contained within Jeremiah 33:14-26 is wanting in the lxx; for this reason, and chiefly because of the promise of the eternal duration, not merely of the royal house of David, but also of the Levitical priests, and their innumerable increase, J. D. Michaelis and Jahn have considered it spurious. People will not need priests as mediators between them and God, because God himself will deal with their sins. The peace of the country. Furthermore, it should be particularly noted that this chapter says nothing at all about any "succession" of Davidic kings, or any series of such rulers, but that he shall have "a son to reign upon his throne."
Benner's 7 Domains Of Nursing Practice, First Citizens Bank Acquires Cit, Failed Cbsa Interview, What Chakra Is Associated With Friday, Amy Schumer Trainwreck Weight Loss, Articles J